Ferrando Convent took its origin at Bandel on 8th August 1995. The Sisters belong to the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, the first indigenous Congregation in North East India. It was founded by His Grace Stephen Ferrando SDB, the then Bishop of Shillong, on 24th October 1942, at Guwahati, Assam. They are called Ferrandine’ from the name of their Founder, Rt. Rev. Msgr. Stephen Ferrando SDB.
Started by eight local girls, the congregation has now 700 professed sisters, working in 113 centres, of which 108 are spread in 27 dioceses in India and 5 in 3 dioceses in Italy. The aim of the Congregation is first and foremost, Missionary Apostolate – Evangelisation and Catechetical instruction, especially of women
folk and children in the villages. Schools, boardings, dispensaries, mobile clinics, homes for the aged, orphans and street children, vocational training centres and care and education of the handicapped are the other main activities through which the MSMHC serve the Church always with a missionary ideal.
At Bandel, the Sisters do family apostolate, besides helping in the Basilica and the Parish, in many ways. They intend to open a house of formation for candidates of their institute in the future. The foundation marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of their Founder.