Bandel Timeline

1599
The keystone of the old church

The keystone of the old church bearing the date 1599 over the eastern gate of the Monastery was laid.

1646

The Governor of Bengal confirms the grant of the land. 

1660
Manucci the foreign traveller and historian visits Bandel

By Bixquert - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

1666
Bernier visits Bandel

Bernier visits Bandel. He resided in India for twelve years from 1657 to 1669. The greater part of his residence was spent at the court of Aurengzeb, whose camp he followed in 1665 from Delhi to Kashmir through the length of the Punjab. He was a physician by profession. 

1670

Enlargement of the church

1690
Cathedral Church of Calcutta

Some Portuguese accompany Job Charnock to Calcutta and established a church, which eventually became the cathedral church of Calcutta. This is the fourth oldest church in Bengal, the earlier ones were in Bandel, Chinsurah and Serampore. 

1712
The Earliest Recorded Episcopal Visit

The Bishop of Mylapore visits Bandel Church

1756
Pillaging of Monastery

Siraj•ud•dulla pillages the monastery and all the documents are destroyed. 

1785
Controversy

Controversy with the Portuguese government over ownership of land Memorandum by Prior.

1797
Abolishment of magisterial power

The English Governor General of East India Company abolishes the Prior's magisterial power. 

1820
Second Memorandum

The Prior sends the second memorandum. 

1867
Change of administration

The priests from the diocese of Mylapore take over the administration of the church. 

1870
St. John School

Bandel St. John’s School was established in 1870 by the then Prior of Bandel Church, Rev. AC. Rodriguez, and is owned and administered by the Salesians of Don Bosco.

1897
Belfry Damage

The belfry of the church was damaged by earthquake. 

1910
The statue of Our Lady

The statue of Our Lady of Happy Voyage is taken to the newly erected balcony. 

1928
The Salesians of Bandel

The Salesian Fathers of Don Bosco take over the administration from the Bishop of Mylapore. 

1935
Major repairs

Major repairs of the Church

1959
New Altar and Chapel

New altar and chapel on the roof of the church attached to the balcony. 

1980
Damage by Lightning

Damage to the church caused by lightning. 

1981
Major repair

Major repair of part of the roof of the Sanctuary

1983
Governor Visit

West bengal governor Mr. Pandey visit the shrine.

1986
Governor Visit

West Bengal governor Mr. Nurul Hasan visits the shrine

The boundary wall construction begins. 

1987
Forcefully stopped construction

L.F. Workers forcefully stopped the construction of the boundary wall. 

1988
Renovation and Beautification

On November 25th the church is elevated to the status of Minor Basilica. the work of renovation and beautification is in progress. 

1995
Mother Teresa Visit

 Mother Teresa visit Bandel for the celebration of 125 years of St John’s School. This was held in 1995 and organized a civic reception for Mother.

1998
Governor Visit

25th October, West Bengal governor A.R. Kidwai visits the Basilica. Inauguration of the yearlong celebrations for the 4th centenary of the Basilica to be concluded on Nov. 14th, 1999.